Friday, March 17, 2006

Randomalia: Dear Diary 



[Insert midget prostitute joke here.]

I know most people don't care for "look at how cute my kids are" daddyblogging pablum, but Last night's bedtime request was too priceless to withhold:
Can you read this book for me, Daddy?
Which book, kid?
It says Horton...Hears....The...Whore!
Man, I haven't laughed that hard in years.






In more mundane news: spent the evening in Northampton, just because it was time to get the hell out of dodge.

The bulb show at the Smith College Botanic Gardens was small but stellar, but the permanent collection is always a treasure trove: found our first real Cassia plant, stalked the kids in the jungle room, sniffed sweet honeys and dark moss musk, and generally justified the trip.

Sushi afterwards in the scruptious Osaka, where an accident of fate seated us in one of only two recessed pillow cubicles, authentic and blond with hardwood as we feasted on the freshest, most buttery sushi in a hundred miles. I've developed a real taste for sea urchin; Cassia likes edamame, salty and green: if you ever go, make sure you start with the seaweed salad.

I love coming home from long drives at night, sharing comfortable silences with my wife while the kids doze in the back. Soft sounds on the radio and the pinpoint lights of passing cars and distant mainstreet intersections are my meditation. Seven highlights of tonight's mellowdrive, because Bozette asked:

  • Ryan Adams' Wonderwall is the best late-night driving song ever.
  • Richard Shindell's So Says the Whipporwill is a close second.
  • The Waifs do Sweetness. Sweet.
  • Sufjan, o sufjan. A live two-fer, yet: For The Widows in Paradise and the exquisite LEXP Chicago
  • Shawn Colvin covers Satin Sheets.
  • Cindy Lauper reinterprets True Colors on 2005 release The Body Acoustic. You've come a long way, baby.
  • You've heard Donald Byrd's Cantaloupe Island, you just don't know what it's called.

Also: in the past few days several students have found me, both here and in IM. I'd ask anyone here from my real life to keep in mind that, like your myspace page, my blog is primarily a reflection of my inner life, not my professional life. Please respect this to the extent you are able, and consider all opinions to be my personal, not my professional thoughts. Oh, and congrats on finding me. Not everyone does.

posted by boyhowdy | 9:45 PM |

Comments:
very very nicely done thank you
 
Horton Hears a Whore, eh? Funny!

I remember my kids went through a phase when they shortened words all the time, just to be slang-y. Mildly annoying, but not so we couldn't live with it. Until we were going to Old Country Buffet one night and the kids danced around singing, affectionately shortening the second word...
 
This is my first time here. I like your blog.
 
Post a Comment
coming soon
now listening
tinyblog
archives
about
links
blogs
quotes