Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Mea Culpa 

I remember thinking, three weeks ago when we first started up the hand-me-down computer, that it was odd to see a computer fully loaded with software yet bereft of viral protection.

And then I sat down and started loading the iPod. And dumping the camera to hard drive. And surfing the universe after a long absence.

It would be easy to claim ignorance, except I'm a pretty techsavvy guy (and an instructional technologiest). It would be easy to claim a lack of time, except I spent a good couple of nights there burning the midnight oil on shockwave jigsaws and iTunes back catalog retrieval (and, incidentally, using sleeptime I could not spare, but managing the new schedule is a tale for another week).

Instead, unfortunately, it seems the universe of busyness and ADD-rooted procrastination is no match for my tendencies towards high-risk online behavior.

And now the darn thing is totally fried -- spyware laden, bugheavy, stuck at start-up with no access to even the start menu. Now the dead machine looms in the corner like the spectre of last week's lunchmeat in a middle school locker.

And boyhowdy, don't I feel stupid.

Too busy at work to blog this week, really -- it's grading time, I have no curriculum planned for this morning's classes, and as always, I'm a full term behind on paperwork.

Apologies in advance, then. It's gonna be a light week for blogging. Feel free to check out the workblog or, as always, fun randomness from the archives if you need a fix on my voice.

posted by boyhowdy | 8:01 AM |

Comments:
And this would be why, when my school board asked why we hadn't switched to PC, I said I would never teach Elementary School on PC/Windows computers.

I love Mac (I still have a PC too, but I love my iBook).
 
Laptop design definantly props definatly go to Apple, there really are no laptops that compair as far as that goes... As far as desktops go? I couldn't live with an Apple - I just have to get in there and fiddle with parts, modify, upgrade, etc. Apple just doesn't have the availablity of components or competitiveness of pricing for those that are available...

Mac's are still susceptable to virii, spyware, and everything else - My personal opinion as to why fewer Mac's have problems is that the people who use them are, in general, more tech savy - less likely to do stupid things to their computer, and as such, a waste of time for the development of virii (who want's to infect 100 Macs when you can infect 1000 PCs).
 
Nice site. Check mine out if you can. nikki cash
 
Wow -- that last comment is mindblowingly funny given the context.
 
I would argue that Exit Traffic is actually one of the best forms of traffic generation. I am going to book mark this blog, nice topics discussed

By the way... I have a traffic cam site. It pretty much covers Traffic related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. award emmy oquinn terry is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.
 
Blast your Ad to 13,000+ Real Blog Sites!
 
Hi, I was just surfing around and found your online ireland shopping page!
Very cool,I like finding all this interesting stuff.
If you are interested, go see my online ireland shoppingrelated site which everything is in huge discount.You might find something of interest.
 
I like your blog, I found it looking for blog default index.php link linus.koh.name op. Could you add it to my favourite blog directory please. It has lots of blogs relating to blog default index.php link linus.koh.name op
 
I just came across your blog about online removal spyware tool and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about online removal spyware tool so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by online removal spyware tool
 
RSS Announcer instantly and automatically submits your RSS feeds
 
I'm new to blogging and I like you're one

I have a online shopping mall store great gift website. It offers loads of online shopping mall store, become a lord, pamper gifts, personalised gifts, all types of gadgets, gifts fo him and gifts for her

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a design design development promotion site site site web web web web websiteownerworld.com site/blog. It pretty much covers design design development promotion site site site web web web web websiteownerworld.com related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
which sends to over 700 MILLION people a day.
 
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a vancouver web site promotion site/blog. It pretty much covers vancouver web site promotion related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
with no damage to your business’ budget whatsoever.
 
Learn how to quickly create an RSS feeds with our RSS feeder, for high link popularity and ultimately better search engine rankings.
 
Post a Comment
coming soon
now listening
tinyblog
archives
about
links
blogs
quotes