Saturday, May 14, 2005

Cheap Dates 

A fairly successful dry run for good parenting under unemployment today. Morning housecleaning and tantrums take their emotional toll, but they don't hit the pocketbook. Better, though, was an afternoon jam-packed with local freebies offered by pretty much every community, if you know where to look.

First, a very special storytelling event at the Northfield library, the usual stories, snack, and project heavily overshadowed by a parking lot full of municipal vehicles open to the kiddie public. Willow and I had a blast climbing in and around the fire truck, but the ambulance was by far her favorite.

Next stop, the Creamie, where we satisfied her sugarlust with a sampler cone piled high with sunny yellow sprinkles.

From there we headed out to Gill and the Songline Emu Farm, a local spot we've been intending to go for months. The woman running the place was nice enough to suggest a free self-guided quickie-tour rather than the official $3 thirty minute run, both to save her voice and to not overwhelm the little one with too much technical information. Got to see and stroke two day-old chicks the size of peewee footballs, run with the month-olds up and down the fence, and marvel at the throatcalling elders ready for harvest; collected plenty of double feathers; learned that emu eggs are forest green and hard and brittle as December ice.

The emu farm was right next to the town boat dock, so Willow and I wandered the rocky beachside, watched boat trailers pull in and out in the warm late-Spring sun, and ended up throwing rocks into the widest lakelike stretch of the Connecticut River while Darcie sat in the car with a sleeping Cassia.

Back home, the boys at the dorm next door played Dead tunes surprisingly well into the night as the light faded. Willow and I listened out her window until she felt sleepy and I felt nostalgic for summer festivaling. Getting her to sleep was a breeze.

Total cost, not counting gas: 50 cents for the sampler cone, another buck for Darcie's kiddie cone, and $2.60 for a shared chocolate malt. Not bad for a day with so many new experiences, I felt like a kid again myself.

Oh, yeah, and I guess someone bought the sausages we cooked up for breakfast. Pity the free lunch (and dinner) goes the moment we leave boarding school life behind.

posted by boyhowdy | 10:03 PM |

Comments:
Your blog is informative. I do apartment loan as well.
 
Looking for chula day green ticket vista info tonight I came across this chula day green ticket vista post. I was impressed. I love chula day green ticket vista and am glad I found this post. Keep it up!!

Paul
 
Hi, I like your blog!. I have a blog about used rv camper part.
Stop by and check it out sometime at used rv camper part
 
Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW
 
Cool blog you have going here, I will check in often! I have a similar site about health link list man
. It pretty much covers health link list man
related stuff.
 
learn about book publishing publishing self
at: book publishing publishing self
Info

 
Dicecities.net
Large selection of Websites for sale, starting as low as $19.99 come by and check it out.
 
Now you could find Classes for a multitude of subjects on your area , like find high school class mates and they could be found by visiting find high school class mates
 
I really enjoyed you cooking easy website. I also have a site about cooking easy Please take a look. I hope you will find it interesting
 
Nice blog! I have a lead free dinnerware site I thought you and your visitors might like.

Click on lead free dinnerware to check it out. lead free dinnerware
 
hello
offers or buyers

These days trade business much easier since internet development.
On net, we can find well made trade portal site.
In fact, those cool sites help your trade business.
How many countries? what kinds of products?
Yes, we can not count.
Around the world, someone looking for your products, and a company
want to import your goods.
Trade portal site become huge marketplace so it called "emarketplace."
How many emarketplace do you know.
Which emarketplace do you recommend.
I am proudly tell you the emarketplace "Buykorea.org"
You may not buy korea, but you can buy and sell what you want.
Buykorea.org trade service managed by kotra(un profit trade agency)
Your marketing budget will be save and business increased.
Check what do you want to know about
directory dubai lead trade.
 
I enjoyed you blog about black man health. I also have a site about black man health which makes me appreciate this one even more! Keep up the good work!
 
Hey do you like free stuff? freebies or samples?

I like this blog and i found nice free puppy stuff on it and its good i know of a good site for free puppy stuff

Its number one site on the web for free puppy stuff

Check it out at free puppy stuff
 
What a wonderful invention it is, this thing we call the Internet!
 
Hey do you like free stuff? freebies or samples?

I like this blog and i found nice free sample wedding toast on it and its good i know of a good site for free sample wedding toast

Its number one site on the web for free sample wedding toast

Check it out at free sample wedding toast
 
Post a Comment
coming soon
now listening
tinyblog
archives
about
links
blogs
quotes