Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Despair In The Air 

Too much of my work today forced me to confront the fact that this school has no idea what I do here.

Two instructional sessions with classes -- one on how to present, and the other on how to present with powerpoint -- with each teacher wondering why the heck I won't be here next year, since no one ever asked them to teach HOW to teach to students.

Mandate work on the Professional development Committee, which is exploring literacies that faculty need to develop, and includes Technology literacy on the list -- despite the fact that I'm the only one here who teaches and directs that curriculum, or even knows what the heck that means.

Library postings renewing our vision, which includes those selfsame literacies.

Work on the webpage for Ed Tech, which won't exist next year, but for some reason we'll keep all that stuff on the web talking about our program and commitment.

The kids online can't understand that Creationsim isn't a theory like Evolution is a theory, and are discussing how to make sure that students are given "options" for "belief" in one or the other.

Someone said today that the reason I was cut was that no other prep school in our "league" has someone who does what I do. Bodes well for finding work with them, eh?

Some days, I just want to knock on the door to the head of school, and ask him whether he really cares about kids at all. The world is getting more silly around me as I grow in it, isn't it. Talk about Sysyphus.

posted by boyhowdy | 8:39 PM |

Comments:
Post a Comment
coming soon
now listening
tinyblog
archives
about
links
blogs
quotes