Saturday, November 22, 2003

Why I Listen To Folk Music
People worry about kids playing with guns, and teenagers watching violent videos; we are scared that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands – literally thousands – of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss. The unhappiest people I know, romantically speaking, are the ones who like pop music the most; and I don’t know whether pop music has caused this unhappiness, but I do know that they’ve been listening to the sad songs longer than they’ve been living the unhappy lives.

After watching only bits of the movie in fits and starts on cable one night a few months ago, I am finally reading Nick Hornby’s High Fidelity.

So I got that going for me.

posted by boyhowdy | 9:25 PM |

Comments:
Post a Comment
coming soon
now listening
tinyblog
archives
about
links
blogs
quotes