Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Mold

Last night it hailed for an hour; today the school announced it was going to have to close a dorm and redistribute 40 students due to toxic mold. Meanwhile, I bumped into the tech director for the school radio station before my show tonight, and he invited me to take any CDs I wanted from the free stacks in the glass-walled second studio. What he didn't mention was that the whole thing reeked of must and mold. Must have been swamped quite some time ago. Now my nose is all stuffed up, my eyes swollen, my head large; when I blew my nose a few minutes ago, there was a streak of blood in the tissue.

I did find some gems among the toxins: Michael Franti and Spearhead; Rickie Lee Jones' new album; an EP of Vida Blue remixes; Kasey Chambers' The Captain, which I've been meaning to pick up for a while. And an Andrew W.K. sampler. But I had to leave almost as many behind, stuck with redgold rustmold to their colorful paper inserts.

I needed it. After a morning deadweighting my arm panning shots of students working at whiteboards for the coming-soon-to-theatres-near-you A Day In The Life Of The NMH Math Department, I managed to garble my way through an entirely unplanned and incoherent short presentation on my trip to Bangladesh in front of the whole faculty meeting this afternoon, then proceeded to get frustrated at the supermarket when Darcie and Willow kept moving on without me. Even Friendly's and a bath with the baby didn't cheer me up.

My back hurts. I was "on" from seven this morning to just after midnight. I haven't even thought about writing progress reports yet, though we'll be away when they're due so I better get going on them soon.

It's the end of the term, and we pretty much all fall apart here. This place is falling apart around me; I am falling apart around this place. Things fall apart; the center does not hold. Damn, my throat hurts. Playlist follows.

Bob Dorough -- Too Much Coffee Man
Trey Anastasio -- Cayman Review
Andrew W.K. - She Is Beautiful
Ween -- Bananas and Blow
String Cheese Incident -- Drifting
The Rembrandts -- Making Plans For Nigel
Trout Fishing In America -- Happy That You're Here
Eddie From Ohio -- Quick
Patty Griffin -- Change
Cesaria Evora -- Sangue de Beirona
Albert Pla -- El Lado Mas Bestia de la Vida
Joss Stone -- Fell In Love With A Boy
Jazz Is Dead -- Scarlet Begonias
Dan Hicks -- The Piano Has Been Drinking
Erica Wheeler -- Song For A Winter Night
Indigo Girls -- Romeo and Juliet
Girlyman -- When I Fall
Nickel Creek -- Spit On A Stranger
Ben Folds -- Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
Vida Blue -- Most Events Aren't Planned
Natalie Merchant -- Weeping Pilgrim
Be Good Tanyas -- House Of The Rising Sun
The Del McCoury Band -- Rain And Snow
Blind Boys Of Alabama -- Amazing Grace

posted by boyhowdy | 1:08 AM |

Comments:
Post a Comment
coming soon
now listening
tinyblog
archives
about
links
blogs
quotes